We're looking for volunteer helpers to pack our vegetable boxes on a Tuesday. If you're interested please send us your CV.
In March, two volunteers started on a Wednesday for us and both have been really enjoying the experience and have decided to stay on for longer than the initial 2 months! One of them, Will, says:
" "You must be mad " was the response of one of my ex colleagues when I told her that I was volunteering to help pack veg boxes at the Community Farm on a Wednesday. So why do I do it? What's in it for me and why do I find it so rewarding?
The day as a volunteer starts at 10.00 a.m being warmly greeted by the team who seem genuinely pleased to have the extra help with what is an ever increasing workload. Then it's straight to work helping to prepare for the days pack sorting out boxes, weighing and pre packing veg and generally helping to organise the area for the main pack. It is physical work and there is always something to do but everyone is really friendly and pitches in and truly work as a team. The main pack is usually finished by around 3.30p.m. leaving just some tidying up before finishing around 4.00 p.m
I really enjoy the day, it’s good exercise (much cheaper than going to the gym). Everyone is really friendly and appreciative of the help. It’s a busy day there is always something to do and time passes really quickly. There is plenty of chat throughout the day and during lunch and tea breaks. I feel that by volunteering I am making a really positive contribution to the success of the veg box scheme and the community farm."
Voluntary One day per week – Tuesdays 10am-3pm
For two months minimum, ideally longer
Main purpose of the Role
- The role of volunteer vegetable and fruit box packers is to assist the wholesale and box scheme staff with preparing our organic boxes for delivery. This involves working alongside our team in the warehouse: handling and weighing the fruit and vegetables; packing the produce into boxes ready for distribution;
- loading the boxes on to pallets; observing health and safety and food hygiene requirements.
- The role would suit someone who: wishes to gain work-experience in distribution, retail and / or the food industry;
- would benefit from getting more physically active;
- enjoys the camaraderie of working with a friendly team;
- wants to get involved with the unique enterprise that is The Community Farm.
- Candidates for this role must be: physically fit; willing to work both as part of a team and unsupervised (once training has been given);
- committed to observing health and safety and food hygiene requirements at all times.
If you are interested and would like to find out more, please contact:
Telephone: 01275 333756