Mixed giardiniera vegetables
- By Laurence Guy Laurence Guy
Classically an anti pasta made with carrots, onions, celery and cauliflower, this Italian recipe can be easily adapted to include a wide range of vegetables. It takes 2 days to complete but each part is simple.
- Wash and clean your vegetables before cutting into roughly even sized pieces.
- Place them in a bowl with a liberal scattering of sea salt and cover with cold water
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave to stand overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, sterilse some jars in a hot oven and leave to cool.
- Add 3-4 garlic cloves a sprig of marjoram, thyme and a few bay leaves to each jar with half a teaspoon of whole black peppercorns.
- In a large ceramic pot, bring the red wine vinegar with 100ml of water to a simmer.
- Drain the salted veg and rinse well to remove the majority of the salt.
- Spoon the vegetables into the jars, filling each one snugly. Pour the vinegar solution and screw on the lids.
- Leave in a cool dark place to improve- they need about a week or two.
- Serve with a little olive oil and fresh bread