Mozzarella and roasted kohlrabi crostini
- By Food52 Food52
This is a simple but impressive-looking starter, or double it up to serve as a main course with a seasonal salad and maybe some houmous. You don't have to use all the herbs in the recipe - mix and match to suit your own tastes.
- Rub the kohlrabi generously with olive oil, wrap tightly in foil and roast in a hot oven for 40 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Let cool.
- Lay 12 baguette slices on a baking sheet and toast until they reach a light golden brown, flip and toast other side.
- Dredge lemon slices in sugar, then fry in hot olive oil until golden brown, about 45 seconds per side. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Saute shallots in olive oil, stirring often until crispy and golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.Rub crostini rounds with garlic clove.
- Chop herbs finely with a pinch of sea salt and add olive oil to form a paste. Spread paste on garlic-rubbed crostini rounds.
- Place olives and sliced, roasted kohlrabi on top of the herbed crostini rounds and top with fresh mozzarella rounds.
- Place crostini under grill until mozzarella is golden and bubbling. Remove from grill.
- Top each mozzarella round with one crispy lemon slice and crispy shallots. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.