Simple spiced beetroot pie
- By Laura Colebrooke Laura Colebrooke
This is a similar concept to pumpkin pie but a more seasonal alternative in a year with a poor squash harvest such as this
- Take 350g beetroot and remove any stems but being careful not to damage the skin as this will cause it to leach colour when cooking.Boil whole in until soft- this may take 30-60 mins depending on the size.Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make (or buy!) shortcrust pastry to line an 8inch loose bottomed tin and bake blind for 20mins.
- When the beets are cool, skin them and roughly chop.
- Blend in a mixer with 3 organic eggs.
- In a pan warm 250ml double cream with 75g brown sugar, ½ tsp each of ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves and cinnamon up to the point of simmer.
- Pour the cream into the blender with the motor running. Pour the mix into the tart case and bake at 180 degrees for about 30mins or until the centre is just a little wobbly.
- Tastes great with a rich chocolate ice cream