- By Laurence Guy Laurence Guy
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Make an off white sauce by melting the butter on a low heat before stirring in the brown flour until a paste is formed.
- Gradually add milk to the mix a little at a time taking time to add a bay leaf and a few gratings of nutmeg along with a pinch of salt and pepper to your sauce. As you stir the milk a little at a time into the sauce you should see a smooth sauce form.
- Once you've added the milk to the sauce, take it off the heat, remove the bay leaf and add a good handful of grated cheese.
- To prepare the celeriac, wash and peel it well before cutting into slices the width of a pound coin.
- Place the slices in a baking tray before covering with your white sauce and placing in the oven.
- When the gratin is golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes, it's ready to be served.