Creamy cauliflower and stilton soup
- By Laurence Guy Laurence Guy
This is the best way to get the most out of the Cauliflower stem and perfect for a wet day.
- Start by making a stock by adding roughly chopped stalk and leaves of the cauliflower to a large pan with bay leaves, a whole head of star anise, a pinch of sea salt and one and a half litres of water.
- Bring your stock to the boil before turning down to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, sweat an onion and two sliced cloves of garlic in butter and olive oil in a large pan over a low heat. After 5 minutes add two medium washed and cubed potatoes to the pan and stir for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the star anise and bay leaves from the stock before ladling the stock and the cauliflower stalk into the pan with onions and potatoes.
- Liquidise the soup before adding 50g of soft Stilton (or Dolcelatte) and add two tablespoons of creme fraiche. Season and serve with fresh bread.