Elote (Mexican corn on the cob)
- By Laura Colebrooke Laura Colebrooke
This recipe is not haute cuisine but more of a guilty pleasure. Don't let that put you off because it is very tasty!
- Roast your sweetcorn whole inside the leaves to keep the flavour in. To do this, strip off any loose layers and cook the cobs in their leaves under a medium grill. If you have a gas grill or are doing this on a BBQ you can wrap them in foil if you're concerned about the leaves smouldering. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until they've turned a rich yellow colour.
- Once cooked, leave to cool slightly before carefully removing the outer leaves.
- Meanwhile, mix 3 tbsp mayonnaise and the juice of half a lime.
- Pour the mixture onto the cooked corn and then crumble 150g white cheese such as Wensleydale , Feta or even some grated Parmesan on to the top.
- Sprinkle with the juice of half a lime , some chilli powder and salt and pepper.
- Great served as part of a Mexican style feast!