- By Super User Super User
- Preheat oven to 200 degress and butter a shallow ovenproof dish
- Slike 1kg washed potatoes to the thickness of a pound coin before covering with cold water
- Grate 300g mixed gruyere and beaufort chesse (alternatively taleggio or any smoked cheese would work well)
- Drain the potatoes and place a single layer of them onto the butterred dish before seasoning with a little salt and pepper, some spots of soft butter and a small handful of the grated cheese.
- Repeat this process until your dish is full with a layer of potatoes on top.
- Pour 250ml vegetable or chicken stock on topand bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 150 degrees and then bake for a further 45 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the top is golden