Rhubarb meringue pie
- By Laura Colebrooke Laura Colebrooke
The eggs that we have from Barrington Park make great meringues and Rhubarb is a great alternative to Lemon in this classic.
- Chop and stew the rhubarb with a little water and sugar to taste. Once soft but still with some shape add the cornflour mixed to a paste with cold water. Then take off the heat and beat in the egg yolks
- Pour the rhubarb mix into a pastry case or a a base made from crushed ginger biscuits and a little melted butter.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until they form peaks. Gradually beat in the sugar and cream of tartar 1 spoon at a time until the mix has is glossy and firm
- Spoon the meringue on to the rhubarb, making sure there are no gaps
- Bake at 200 C for about 20mins or until the top is brown. Can be served warm or cold