Spiced rum-baked pears with sticky coffee sauce
- By Laura Colebrooke Laura Colebrooke
A great way to use up any pears that may be bruised or past their best.
- Peel and quarter the pears. Place in an ovenproof dish along with a knob of butter , a light sprinkling of demerera sugar and the rum. Add some vanilla, cinnamon, peppercorns, and cloves.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 45 mins to an hour until soften and taken on the flavours. Once cooked, removed the whole spices.
- Meanwhile, in a pan heat the margarine/butter with the sugar. Melt together over a low heat and add one expresso or 200ml water and 2 tsp instant coffee.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 mins or until it reduces and becomes sticky.
- Remove from the heat and beat in 200ml cream. The sauce should be glossy with a slightly sticky consistency. if it's too runny, you can return to the heat to boil for a few minutes more but don't overdo it or you'll end up with fudge.
- Serve the pears hot with good vanilla ice cream and drizzled with the sause