Sweet onion pilaff
- By Laurence Guy Laurence Guy
- Start by cleaning two large onions. Top and tail them and remove the green stalks from the bulbs. Set aside.
- Heat some olive oil and a good knob of butter in a large casserole dish over a gentle heat. Roughly slice the green stems of the onions and add to the pan and satuee for a few minutes before adding two sliced cloves of garlic and sauteeing for another minute
- Add one cinnamon stick to the pan. Rinse 180g basmati rice (enough for 4 people as a side dish) and add to the pan, stirring for a minute or two.
- Take 290ml good quality vegetable stock , you can use a meat stock if you prefer, and add to the pan. Stir well and turn the heat down before covering the pan.
- Once the rice has absorbed all of the liquid and has cooked through, remove from the heat.
- To finish the dish, slice the onions thinly and gently fry in some olive oil and butter for a few minutes before sprinkling over some brown sugar. When te sugar has started to caramelise and the onions have softened, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and season.
- Stir the onions through the rice and serve.