Jerusalem artichoke and hazelnut soup
- By Bonnie Hewson, from a Diana Henry recipe Bonnie Hewson, from a Diana Henry recipe
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and add the leek and onion and a splash of water. Cover and sweat while you prepare the artichokes.
- Clean the artichokes really thoroughly. I don't always peel them â€“ it depends how knobbly they are and seems to make little difference in the end, but you decide. Chop into small chunks and throw into the pan with the leeks and onions. Stir around and season. Cover again and sweat until the artichokes are just soft.
- Add the stock and cook until the mixture is really soft (about 15 minutes). Add the milk and leave to cool.
- Add the hazelnuts and blend in a food processor using the pulse button until the mixture is fairly smooth; it's nice to have a little crunch of nut left in.
- Put the soup back into a pan, add half the cream then taste. You may not want to add any more; it depends how rich you want it. Adjust the seasoning.
- Reheat and serve with some roughly chopped hazelnuts scattered over each bowlful. Serves 6-8