- By Laurence Guy Laurence Guy
This classic Italian dish which is traditionally made with just aubergine but is also great with courgettes as well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Gently fry two sliced cloves of garlic in olive oil in a heavy pan for a few minutes before adding 2 cans chopped tomatoes and a stick of cinnamon.
- Reduce for 10-15 minutes on a low heat before removing the cinnamon. Stir in a bunch of shredded basil and put to one side.
- Top and tail one aubergine and a handful of courgettes before cutting lengthways and slicing into strips about the thickness of a one pound coin.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and season and drizzle with olive oil. Mix to coat the vegetables.
- Heat a griddle pan and fry the veg until starting to colour on each side. If you dont have a griddle, place the veg on a baking tray and grill.
- In a dish spoon a thin layer of the tomato sauce then a layer of the veg and on top of this a layer of sliced mozarella. Repeat this process and finish with a layer of tomato sauce and a layer of grated Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins until golden and bubbling.